Before Signing Your Lease
We know that taking the step to move off campus or finding a place to live off campus as a commuter student can be very stressful. It is important that you take the time to research and compare various locations before signing a lease. As you prepare to sign your list, take the time to think about the following:
|Apartment Walkthrough Checklist||Questions to ask before move in|
- Have I completed my on-campus live-on requirement? If you are unsure, please review the Housing & Meal Plan Requirement
- Have I factored in paying for groceries or should I apply for a meal plan?
- Is the off-campus housing within walking distance or will I need transportation?
- When is my rent payment due and who do I pay it to?
- What forms of payment are accepted for rent?
- Is there an application fee to apply to live at this location?
- Are utilities included in the rent?
- What amenities do I have access to by paying rent? Do they cost extra?
- How much is the deposit? Does the deposit cover any portion of my first month’s rent?
- How long is my lease? When does the lease begin and end? Are there different leasing options (6 months, 12 months, etc.)?
- Am I allowed to break my lease? If so, what is the fee?
- Am I allowed to sublease? What are the policies to change tenants and sublease?
- Can I review my lease with a family member or legal team prior to signing?
Additional Fees and Questions
- Am I allowed to use a co-signer?
- Are pets allowed? What pets? What are the costs and policies regarding pets?