About the Honors Program
How do I join HTC Honors College? You can apply to joing the HTC Honors College when you apply to Coastal, or you can apply as a first-year student. Information about applying is available on the Future Students page.
What are the benefits of being a part of the Honors Program? Honors students are eligible for a variety of benefits, including:
- Early Registration for Courses
- A dedicated Honors First-Year Residence Hall
- Small seminar Honors-only Core Curriculum classes
- Interdiciplinary Honors upper level seminars
- HTC Scholars funding for
- Honors projects and research
- Travel to conferences to present scholarship
- Study abroad stipends
- Honors Social and Cultural Events
- Dedicated Honors advising
Is the program only available to entering freshman students? High performing first semester students may apply to the program during Fall semester. Transfer students who have completed 30 hours of college credit can apply to the program. See the Future Honors Students page
What about Honors Advising? You will have a first-year honors adviser who will work with you to develop your schedule and guide you through your first year. At the beginning of your second year, you will then have an adviser in your major who will act as your primary adviser. You will have an honors adviser to consult with concerning the honors curriculum for as long as you remain in the Honors College. More first-year advising questions are answered on the Academic Advising page.
What about housing? Honors students are highly encouraged to live in honors housing during their first year. Roommate requests in Honors housing will be restricted to University Honors students.
The following groups of students are not expected to live in Honors first-year housing:
- Local students who will be living with family off campus.
- Student athletes whose teams live together in a community sponsored by Athletics.
- Members of another Living/Learning community, such as SeaFloor, TEACH, PGM, etc. These students should coordinate with Honors Office and their other community on housing arrangements.
- Students with accessibility requirements. These students should inform the Honors Office and contact Accessibility and Disability Services to make arrangements.
More housing information is available here.