Travel Access - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

CCU Account Access from Abroad

With the increase of security threats and breaches worldwide, the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) provides secure account access for Coastal Carolina University students, faculty, and staff who are traveling, studying or living outside the United States or U.S. territories. To maintain your account access while abroad, ITS will need to know of your intent to travel abroad to ensure your account remains secure, accessible and protected. In addition, ITS requires the use of multi-factor authentication services in order for CCU account holders to access campus services securely from locations outside of the United States and U.S. territories. Available campus services include Office 365 Outlook email, Moodle and other CCU resources.

Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is:

  • A second layer of authentication against security threats when accessing CCU accounts outside of the United States (a text code, phone call, or app verification in addition to your Coastal password)
  • Managed efficiently on your mobile tablet or cell phone that you will take to an international location. See MFA tips for international travelers »

How to request travel access and MFA

If you are a student, faculty or staff member traveling as part of an education abroad program...

No action is necessary to request travel access and MFA. The Center for Global Engagement will submit the request for travel access and MFA for you on your behalf.

If you are faculty or staff traveling on behalf of the University as an individual...

Please complete and submit the Request for International Travel Insurance form through the Center for Global Engagement for individiual travel (conferences, research, etc). After that is completed, the Center for Global Engagement will submit your travel access request on your behalf.

If you are a student traveling independently or privately and would like to maintain access to CCU services while abroad... 

At least 72 hours in advance of travel, please submit an SCS online request (help desk ticket) to request travel access and MFA. Include all of the following required information in the help desk ticket:

  1. Request travel access and MFA (if you do not have MFA already) to be applied to the account
  2. Full name and CCU username of traveler
  3. An alternate email address and/or telephone number for the traveler
  4. Travel destination (country)
  5. Specific dates of travel, up to a maximum period of 12 months (For example: Oct. 2, 2020 to Dec. 21, 2020).

Your help desk request is subject to verification before it is processed. After verification is complete and account access with MFA is granted, whomever submitted the help desk ticket will be notified through the ticket system.

To renew travel access, submit a new help desk ticket before your existing travel access expires.

For more information, students and alumni may call ITS Student Computing Services at 843-349-2220.

If you are faculty or staff traveling independently or privately, and would like to maintain access to CCU services while abroad...

Faculty/staff only need to follow the MFA Tips for International Travelers below. Faculty/staff do not need to submit a help desk ticket.

MFA Tips for International Travelers

  • When traveling abroad, you will need to take a mobile device with you to efficiently and safely access your CCU accounts using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). We recommend you set up and use the Microsoft Authenticator App, which can be used on a mobile phone or tablet to verify your login.
  • If you are traveling for less than 30 days, you may access your Coastal account on your laptop and check the box to 'remember you for 30 days.' Check your computer's Web Browser Settings to be sure it is remembering your temporary files, such as browser history, cookies and cache for this option to work.
  • To manage your settings and set up the Authenticator App for MFA, visit »
  • For additional MFA tips, visit MFA frequently asked questions »