Policies and Procedures - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Policies & Procedures FAQs:

What is the University Housing Requirement?

Answer: Coastal Carolina University is committed to providing its students with a comprehensive educational experience that includes a residential component. Therefore, all degree-seeking, full-time, first and second-year students who graduated from high school within two calendar years prior to enrolling in Coastal Carolina University are required to live in residential communities operated by University Housing and to purchase a meal plan. Possible exemptions and the process for requesting exemptions are described in this policy. Being automatically or manually marked as exempt will not prevent a student from choosing to apply for housing and entering into the annual license agreement or from purchasing a meal plan. For more information, review the University Housing and Meal Plan Requirement (STUD-336) online.

What is the smoking policy?

Answer: Coastal Carolina University is a Tobacco Free Campus. Smoking and tobacco usage is not permitted on University property. For more information, review the Tobacco-Free Campus (UNIV-431) online.

What is the alcohol policy?

Answer: Coastal Carolina University does not allow alcohol in any University Housing room where one or more resident is under the legal drinking age or 21. If the entirety of a room or suite is above the legal drinking age, they may register for status as a wet suite. For information about this process, see the Coastal Carolina University Code of Student Conduct, coastal.edu/deanofstudents.

What happens if I get locked out of my room?

Answer: Residents who are locked out of their room may go to the community desk to checkout a loaner key. They must be able to show identification and proof that they live in the apartment, suite, or room. The loaner key should be returned within 30 minutes or the locks will be changed at the student’s expense. All residents will be provided two lock outs free of charge each semester. Each additional lock-out will result in a unique $50 lock-out fee and may result in action under the Code of Student Conduct.  

Will housing staff check my room?

Answer: Health and safety inspections are completed about three times each semester by a Resident Adviser (RA) and at least one other University Housing staff member. Students may be charged for damaged or replaced items and they may be documented for any violations of policy.

Can I have guests?

Answer: Yes, as long as your roommate says it is okay. Overnight guests are not allowed for more than three consecutive nights and five nights in a month. Overnight guests are not allowed during the first and last two weeks of each semester. Guests are not permitted during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks. Hosts are responsible for the actions of their guests and guests must be escorted at all times.

Are there quiet hours?

Answer: Yes. Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m., Sunday through Thursday and 11 p.m. to 11 a.m., Friday and Saturday. However, courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day, and excessive noise will not be tolerated within University Housing facilities. Twenty-four-hour quiet hours are in effect from study day through the closing of University Housing each semester.

Quick Links

Contact Information

Social Icon - Facebook‌  Social Icon - Twitter‌  Social Icon - Instagram

University Housing
Tradition Hall 135
M-Th: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
F: 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
843-349-6400 (phone)
843-349-6425 (fax)

Township Circle Desk
Hours: 24/7

Elvington Loop Desk
Hours: 24/7

University Place Desk
Hours: 24/7

University Housing creates a foundation of care for resident safety and success.